Monday, April 27, 2009

Some of my best friends are horses

Those of you who know me are aware of the fact that I'm an avid equestrian. Learning how to ride horses is both a joy and a challenge because it's such a metaphor for life. Horseback riding is so counter-intuitive to everything we do on the ground so it's all about letting go. If this sounds a lot like Zen that's because it does have that quality and you never stop learning how to ride.

The lessons I've learned from riding my horse are often ones that I apply to my life outside of the stables. The other day in preparation for the first competition of the season I got very frustrated about what I perceived to be my lack of progress. My instructor, Tara Bowles, then asked me if I want to get high scores in the horse show or if I want to ride. I thought that was such a great question and statement at the same time and (here comes Zen again) it really reminded me that it was all about the journey and not the destination.

Well, the competition was yesterday and during my rides I really focused on being in the moment. I came in 2nd place and got my highest score ever.

So what does that have to do with being the Executive Vice President for business development at a digital creative agency? Quite a lot actually, I'm pleased to know. My work is all about preparation, attention to the small details and the day to day tenacity that's necessary in order to keep opening doors.

No comments:

Post a Comment