Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Word Power

Reader's Digest has just filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy so it looks like yet another venerable American Magazine is biting the big one. Not that I was ever a fan of the publication (it's a bit too right of center for my tastes) but whenever I think of Reader's Digest I think of my grandparents who were long time subscribers. Visiting them in their apartment in Jamaica Queens was my only exposure to the magazine and I can picture it now, lying there on their coffee table. I came to enjoy testing my language skills with the Word Power section that was my favorite feature (and really the only part of the magazine I paid much attention to). Sure, I can sign up and play the quiz on the Reader's Digest website now but it is, of course, not the same experience. My grandparents and visits to their home in Queens are long gone and now so too is their favorite magazine. I'd like to think that in addition to the fond memories I have of them, I can truly say that it pays to enrich your word power.

1 comment:

  1. One can never replicate taking the word power quiz online because one can only truly have the Readers Digest experience sitting on the can.

    I grew up with RD in the homes of both Mom and Grandma and it was always in the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete